Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mirror, Mirror...

I was looking at a news article recently on the series of photos by Annie Liebovitz. What caught my attention was the actress Olivia Wilde as the Evil Queen from Disney’s Snow White from the “Mirror, Mirror” scene. This photo set my imagination on fire and got me to thinking about how difficult it is for most of us to look in the mirror and expect to see beauty reflected back. 

How many times over the years have you looked in the mirror and been afraid of the person who’s looking back?  Be honest – it’s happened to all of us at least once in our adult lives. I know what you’re thinking:
  • This isn’t who I thought I was…
  • OMG, do I really look like that?
  • How did I get to this point... ughhh!
Maybe you’ve only briefly glanced – afraid you wouldn’t recognize the person looking back.  Whatever the rationale, stop and consider this is the person you are right here, right now in this moment.  There are a lot of life lessons to be learned from getting to know “you” and usually, it’s where you’ll find the answers to your deepest, darkest secret questions and the strength you didn’t even know you have.

This is one of the first exercises I always ask my clients to do.  Spend some time in front of a mirror. This would be especially good to do before you put on any makeup, or at the end of the day when you’re removing it for the night.  Don’t waste your time focusing on the wrinkles, sun spots, or any other real or imagined signs of aging. Your purpose is to see beyond what your eyes usually reveal. On a day-to-day basis, we see what we want to see and hear what we want to hear – it’s all about choices.

Make the choice to see your authentic beauty and gaze deep into the eyes of your soul self – go beyond the rational and start connecting on the spiritual level with the true person behind the visual façade.  The first thing I want you to say (out loud) is “I Love You!” It will sound forced and your voice may quiver, but you need to do this over and over again until you are comfortable and enthusiastic.

Your soul self is crying out to hear how much you love it and it’s time for you to make a commitment to loving and cherishing the body you are living in.

If you’re like me, you’ll probably cry the first time you do it. You’ll cry because you’ve never told yourself how much you are loved. Remember, before you can love others, you have to be able to love yourself. Withholding affection is akin to a mother withholding sustenance and nurture from her child. Your mirror self is your inner child – don’t be afraid. Saying “I Love You” is a very powerful and healing declaration to you!

It’s a means of releasing critical thoughts and feelings and allowing unconditional acceptance of who you are right now. Who you want to be will come later, but right now, you need to spend some time getting to know yourself and how wonderful you are – right now!

New Affirmation:  I ACCEPT MYSELF FULLY AND COMPLETELY!
Remember, be AUTHENTICALLY who you are and live your BEST life,

Cheryl
IntuitiveGoddesse

No comments:

Post a Comment